I'm glad I didn't pay any attention to these uninformed views. Here are my recommendation based on what I found:
• Walk the main street to take in the facades and gables bedecked with symbols. One bears the resemblance of Shakespeare because many of his plays were performed in this city during the 17th century.
Justice sits atop a nearby building sits Justice while another is topped with Neptune.
• The Town Hall with its imposing clock tower bears a sundial on its facade. A stop to visit the Red room is a must.
• For panoramic views of the city, climb the 255-foot-high tower of St. Mary's Church. This is where Bach had once applied to be a cantor. The enormous, 15th century astronomical clock and calendar on the wall is quite complex, revealing phases of the moon, zodiac symbols, and a bell that Adam & Eve ring on the hour.
• Wander narrow Mariacka Street that's lined with mansions displaying gargoyles house amber workshops, artist atelier, cafes and even a lovely library.
• Stroll the riverfront promenade where the new section of the maritime Museum exhibits ship models from around the world and allows the kids to make a tsunami.